Sunday, June 14, 2009

A couple of people have told me recently that Microsoft's Bing is better than Google. What with this, and Wolfram Alpha I wondered if there's been any real progress on smart search.

So today I had a question, how to move my Amazon.com wishlist over to Amazon.co.uk.

This is, admittedly, a tough question, which is hard to search the answer to. And as of today, Google is hopeless. But neither Bing nor Wolfram Alpha seem any closer.

Frankly, I don't see much room for improvement over the Google method without solving the A.I. problem, but as we're still 50 years (as always) away from solving that, I won't be holding my breath.

1 comment:

John Powers said...

I know I'm an oddball, but I do find the clustering idea at the Clusty search engine has utility for me.

Clusty doesn't try to answer questions, but by grouping results provides some additional information about the types of things people are looking for with those search terms.

For example I discovered people with both Amazon.com and Amazon.co.uk wishlists (one of them was a coder). Also a way to format Amazon Wishlist for Greazemonkey, so if you have multiple pages the script will pull all of them.

Maybe it's because I'm accustomed to viewing searches at Clusty, but it seemed as though I got more useful information there than at Bing.

OT I've been using the Chrome browser. I like that I can choose the search engine. I've resisted Bing because with other MS products, it seems just trying them resets computer settings. Having tried Bing now, I'm glad there doesn't seem any stealth to force you to use it.